This is a talk about the tools, insights, and tribulations of implementing a video transcoding farm in EC2 with open source tools and Ruby. A selection of small adventures where Ruby was used to gain an understanding in an already existing tool, or implementing a tool or integration component to solve a problem.
* understanding mp4 file formats with ruby and finding a 1 bit bug in ffmpeg
* moving 200GB files around both digitally and physically
* launching EC2 instances to run a single command
* wrapping long running processes with ruby command and control
* SimpleDB as a metadata store for S3
* hacking a workflow with google spreadsheet
* debugging a remote 3rd party wireless network