This talk draws on the experiences of the speakers over the last four years of working with Ruby in India, starting with a Ruby based product startup in 2006, two years spent working on offshore Ruby projects at ThoughtWorks India followed by nearly a year building and running a boutique Ruby consultancy in Bangalore.
The talk will cover
* A first hand (subjective) description of the Ruby scene in India over the last five years
* Where things are today - the good, the bad and the ugly - in terms of the community, the ecosystem, the job market and business opportunities
* The realities of running a Ruby shop in India and what this means for people who want to have Ruby work done in India
* A set of guidelines for distributed Ruby projects that make things simpler and more transparent for both the client and the developer
* Job opportunities in India, and why it's starting to make sense to move to India if you're an independent contractor