Everyone in the Scala world is using or looking into using Akka for low-latency, scalable, distributed or concurrent systems. We want to share our story of developing and productionizing multiple Akka apps, including low-latency ingestion and real-time processing systems, and Spark-based applications.
* When does one use actors vs futures?
* Why did we go with Logback instead of Akka's built-in logging?
* Can we use Akka with, or in place of, Storm?
* How did we set up instrumentation and monitoring in production?
* How does one use VisualVM to debug Akka apps in production?
* What happens if the mailbox gets full?
* What is our Akka stack like?
We will share best practices that we've discovered when building Akka and Scala apps, pitfalls and things we'd like to avoid, and a vision of where we would like to go for ideal Akka monitoring, instrumentation, and debugging facilities.